Tips For Safe Hacking
We all want to enjoy hacking out. It can be a great way for you and your horse to unwind. Here are a few things to help you and your horse stay safe and continue to enjoy hacking out safely.
- Before taking a horse out on the road you need to be able to control your horse.
- Have your tack checked regularly is important. Ensuring your saddle fits correctly and all your tack is in good condition.
- Young or nervous horses should be ridden by a experienced rider and ridden out with other horses who are less nervous or more experienced.
- Young or inexperienced riders should be accompanied by an adult or an experienced rider when riding on the road.
- Always wear your riding hat. Make sure your hat is in good condition and conforms to the latest standards.
- Always carry your mobile phone with you in case you need to call for help.
- All riders should wear high viability clothing (both reflective and florescent) when riding on or near the road. This allows you to be seen sooner.
- It is recommended that all riders wear high visibility clothes that conform to the BS EN1150 which is the European Standard for high visibility garments for non-professional use.
- Riders should remember to be courteous to drivers who slowed down for them and thank them for doing so.
Happy Safe Hacking